Tours of the W.A. Young & Sons Foundry and Machine Shop in Rices Landing have resumed, as the Homestead-based organization known as Rivers of Steel has announced that is hosting guided tours at the landmark every Sunday now through October.
The machine shop and foundry overlooking the Monongahela River is a stop recently announced among the “Rivers of Steel” reopenings.
According to the Rivers of Steel website, tours are limited to six people who must be masked and remain socially distant from each other.
Built in 1900, the shop produced parts for steamboats, coal mines and railroads and supported local small businesses. When it closed in 1965, the building was locked and all of its tools and equipment were left in place.
This interactive program includes a tour of the blacksmith shop, pattern shop, hardware store and foundry, along with a demonstration of turn-of-the-last century technology.
Rivers of Steel staff will discuss the history, preservation and restoration of this designated national landmark.
Send us a message and one of our customer service representatives will contact you soon.Contact ×